I found this recipe good for impressing the guests, but on a practical level I have done recipes much quicker that are still really good but this is well worth doing.
2 onions, peeled
2 carrots, peeled
1 celery stalk
2 potatoes, peeled
50g/2oz green beans
1 small cauliflower
1 small head of broccoli
2 tbsp olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
3 handfuls of pasta shapes
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
parmesan cheese, grated, to serve (optional - Vegan option if necessary)
1. Cut the onions, carrots, courgette, celery, potatoes and tomato into 1cm/˝in dice.
2. Top and tail the green beans and cut them into 1cm/˝in lengths. Cut the cauliflower and broccoli into small florets.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep saucepan, add the onions, carrots and garlic, and sweat gently for 2-3 minutes. Then add the courgette, celery, potatoes, green beans and sweat until the vegetables start producing a little moisture.
4. Put half the peas in a bowl and crush with the back of a fork. Add to the pan with the whole peas and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Cover the vegetables with double the volume of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
6. Add the pasta, cook for 10 minutes, then add the broccoli and cauliflower and cook for 8 minutes.
7. Cook for 5 minutes longer, then add the tomato and warm through for a minute or two. Season to taste and serve with grated parmesan and warm crusty Italian bread.