Sourcing Vegetarian Foods Forum : Vegetarian for a peaceful mind?
Website home
Recipes home
Forum home
Forum Login
Contact us

Home  
spacer
Viewed: 1327 -- Replies: 4
spacer
Posted FORUM TOPIC: Vegetarian for a peaceful mind?
16-08-2009
by Elisa_507
What are the most common reasons to become vegetarian?
Specially I wonder is it mostly for health-reasons or for your own peace of mind (are you veg because it just doesnt seem right to kill for your taste-bud's satisfaction)?

I'm in the last category.
Like the average Dutch person I grew up in a normal meat-eating family. I liked eating meat and didn’t give it much thought.
This changed slowly as I was reading more and more on why many spiritual leaders (among who Gandhi ) are in favor of a vegetarian diet.
In the years before 2001 I often struggled with the thought that it wasn’t right (for me) to eat meat, but still I liked the taste too much to give it up. Also I kept telling myself that I was just not living in the right society. I knew no vegetarians around me and becoming vegetarian would be quite a statement and a lot of hassle.
Then one day the “mad cow disease” reached my country. In every stable where the disease was discovered all the cows would be killed. On television they showed daily, how the dead body’s would be picked up by construction machines and thrown into a truck to be disposed for waste.
It was kind of shocking to see and I exposed myself to it purposefully, knowing that this was strengthening me to become a vegetarian.
The last thing I needed before making the bold statement that “starting today I would be vegetarian” was the description from Mansukh Patel of how animals are treated in a slaughter house. He also talked about their fear and how any educated human-being should be able to understand that this energy-of-fear would stay in the meat that we are eating. It made sense to me that, that could not be healthy.
These days my main reason for being vegetarian is that I believe that it just cannot be right to kill a living being for nothing less than a slight enjoyment.
I just see no balance there. Sometimes my actions might harm other living beings, but this will be because I have no other choice or because my benefit exceeds their discomfort.
But to kill simply because I like the taste of something, seems very weird and not human to me.

What about you? Why do you denie yourself that mouthwatering piece of chopped up animal?

Elisa_507 (Follow me on twitter?)
More about why I am vegetarian, who I am and how-to-achieve-Peace-of-Mind on my site www.peaceful-mind.info
02-09-2009
by athego
that is right. we chinese do not eat too much meat and bread it make us fat. we eat Grains vegetables to keep fit.
07-09-2009
by yohannes
Hi, i am yohannes from ethiopia.y ou know what i too beleive being a vegitarian has a lot to do with our psychic well being.i some times feel i am some how connected or part of the whole natural world.some great moments of inner journey reveal such experiences.It now been about four years since i have gone veg. Althuogh it is hard to find vegitarian dishes in almost all ethiopian restourants,am greatly surprized at how it is help me rediscover my calm and luminous being.
07-09-2009
by yohannes
Hi, i am yohannes from ethiopia.y ou know what i too beleive being a vegitarian has a lot to do with our psychic well being.i some times feel i am some how connected or part of the whole natural world.some great moments of inner journey reveal such experiences.It's now been about four years since i have gone veg. Althuogh it is hard to find vegitarian dishes in almost all ethiopian restourants,am greatly surprized at how it is helping me rediscover my calm and luminous being.
09-09-2010
by olivia schlevogt
Hi Elisa
I have exactly the same thoughts. I don't eat meat anymore because I can't kill animals just to have something to eat. I wish humans would respect animals more and not just treat them as a product. I grew up in Germany and found it very hard to find vegetarian food. Now I live in England and it is much easier. If people make jokes at me about being a vegetarian I just laugh and call them cannibals.

You need to open an account or login before contributing to the Vegetarian Living Forum.

spacer
• Sourcing Vegetarian Foods   • Vegetarian Health   • Vegetarian Nutrition   • Organic Vegetarian
  • ALL FORUM TOPICS   • Vegetarian Recipes   • Vegetarian Eating Out   • Vegan Corner   • General Chat