Home  
spacer
Viewed: 1804 -- Replies: 2
spacer
Posted FORUM TOPIC: Stomach and bowel issues
04-02-2008
by
Hello all,
I wonder if any fellow veggies can shed any light on a personal health problem. Advance warning that there's some slightly yucky detail...

I'm 23 and have been veggie for twelve years. Basically, although I've always been slim (size 10-12) and fairly fit, I've always had a strangely portruding stomach and I don't know what causes it or what to do about it. At its worst, I literally look about three months pregnant. I know it isn't flab because the skin on my body is smooth and taut, it looks more like bloat, but as I say, I don't know what the cause is.

I've also noticed that for most of my time as a veggie my stools have become large (quite often they won't flush) and most recently, that I seem to be urinating a lot. If I drink I will need the toilet very quickly. I don't know if there is a connection there anywhere.

If anyone can offer any insight I'd be most grateful. The stomach problem is the worst because it's the most visible and has been going on the longest. I know I do eat a lot of carbohydrates but I'm not sure how much relative to what's considered healthy or what other people eat. Sorry to be yucky; as you can appreciate this sort of thing doesn't often come up in everyday conversation!
19-02-2008
by beckie
Hi, I'm the same age as you, and have also been a veggie for twelve years. I suffer with very similar problems, plus stomach pains. I have been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, as have a few of my friends (non-vegetarians). I don't think it is because of not eating meat, I have just been advised to increase fibre and drink plenty of water to help the system digest! I also take peppermint tea for the bloatiness. Hope this helps!
11-03-2008
by BarelYThere
Yep - my stools were just like yours - large and light. It's the fibrous bulk in the diet I think. As for stomach pains and bloat, I got them a lot more when I ate meat. I've been on a pretty good diet recently and have lost a lot of weight - that's why I'm BarelYThere. The bloats gone with a lot of rubbish I used to eat, like msg from Chinese food, fatty stuff - and I'm doing a lot more exercise which helps bloat.

You need to open an account or login before contributing to the Vegetarian Living Forum.

spacer
• Sourcing Vegetarian Foods   • Vegetarian Health   • Vegetarian Nutrition   • Organic Vegetarian
  • ALL FORUM TOPICS   • Vegetarian Recipes   • Vegetarian Eating Out   • Vegan Corner   • General Chat