General Vegetarian Chat  Forum : HELP! MY 4 YEAR OLD VEGGIE KID ACCIDENTALLY ATE A MEAT SAUSAGE!
Website home
Recipes home
Forum home
Forum Login
Contact us

Home  
spacer
Viewed: 1791 -- Replies: 5
spacer
Posted FORUM TOPIC: HELP! MY 4 YEAR OLD VEGGIE KID ACCIDENTALLY ATE A MEAT SAUSAGE!
20-12-2006
by Jules
Help! I have been horrified on a couple of occasions this year (xmas party season!), when my 4 year old daughter has come home from nursery to tell me that she ate a meat sausage on the xmas buffet table at school - despite my mentioning that she is a vegetarian, when I enrolled her at the school. I know that the buffet table is a difficult one to "police", and I cannot expect the teachers to be watching everything that she puts on her plate, but you would think that before an occasion like a school buffet, the teachers would check the all of the childrens' details to see if they were (a) allergic to any ingredients and (b) vegetarian/ vegan. I just find it really offensive and annoying ... I am waiting for the headmistress of the school to call me back about it! Has anyone else had a similar thing happen to them and how did you explain to your child that "we don't eat meat."? We do eat a lot of Quorn products, so I admit that this probably confuses veggie kids - esp where sausages are concerned. HELP!!
19-01-2007
by Helen
"My 4 year old ate a sausage, Help!"

With all due respect I think you need to get a grip. The more you prevent your children from ever a sausage touching their lips the more likley they will end full meat eaters. So she ate a sausage, it isn't poisoness and it wont harm her. I sincerely you didn't make this fuss in front of her. You will end up making her feel confused and guilty that she has done something wrong. And when she is older it really is her choice to make. Until then don't freak out every birthday party/school party.
22-01-2007
by jule
i understand it ,but i think its the decision of your child ,Im a vegetarian ,too ,but i think your child should can choose like it want ,
jule
24-03-2007
by
i think that u shouldnt make a big deal about it.
also, u should explain to your kid why we dont eat meat at a certain age, and have him/her choose on its own.

but thats only what i think. doesnt mean its correct.
29-09-2007
by CraigT
I don't think it's much of a worry either. Children do things like this, and in all honesty, trying to control them in such a way will only have a negative effect on them when they become older.
20-02-2008
by Chewthecud.co.uk
I think its good your concerned about your child. If you live your life a certain way and want the best for your child then stick by your guns and keep on at the nursing school to keep an eye on her. If she was from a religous boackground that excluded certain foods I garantie they would watch her closer.

Anyways here is some really good kids recipes

http://www.chewthecud.co.uk/Kidsfood.html

Have a look a let me know what you think

jimmy_riddle81@yahoo.co.uk

Come chew the cud

You need to open an account or login before contributing to the Vegetarian Living Forum.

spacer
• Sourcing Vegetarian Foods   • Vegetarian Health   • Vegetarian Nutrition   • Organic Vegetarian
  • ALL FORUM TOPICS   • Vegetarian Recipes   • Vegetarian Eating Out   • Vegan Corner   • General Chat