Contact us

Home  
spacer
Viewed: 1981 -- Replies: 2
spacer
Posted FORUM TOPIC: pulses
14-08-2006
by Nick Alimohammadi
I was just wondering what exactly qualifies as a pulse. I did a search on Wikipedia and it said that they are dry grains or seeds in a pod. So what would that be specifically?
14-08-2006
by sarah
I did a very quick google search and briefly came up with the following (I will have to take a better look into it
14-08-2006
by sarah
Peas, beans and lentils are known as pulses. They are the seeds of plants belonging to the family Leguminosae, which gets its name from the characteristic pod or legume that protects the seeds while they are forming and ripening. With approximately 13,000 species, the family Leguminosae is the second largest in the plant kingdom and it is very important economically.

Peas, beans and lentils are collectively known as pulses. There are many varieties with a wide range of flavours and textures. Pulses work well in soups and stews and are an important source of protein and iron for vegetarians.

You need to open an account or login before contributing to the Vegetarian Living Forum.

spacer
• Sourcing Vegetarian Foods   • Vegetarian Health   • Vegetarian Nutrition   • Organic Vegetarian
  • ALL FORUM TOPICS   • Vegetarian Recipes   • Vegetarian Eating Out   • Vegan Corner   • General Chat